Department of Pediatrics Click here for the Department of Pediatrics Home Page Click here for the UC Irvine Home Page Click here for the School of Medicine Home Page

Application Process

Interview season is an exciting time. The information below will help guide you in the application process to our program. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions about the process.

The UC Irvine School of Medicine/CHOC Children's Hospital of Orange County Pediatric Residency Program participates in the National Residency Match Program (NRMP).

Applications are accepted only through Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). Our application deadline is December 1.

For all applicants:

Please include the following supportive documents along with your application:

Combined program applicants:

  • If you are applying to one of our combined residency programs (Neurology, Medical Genetics), please apply to categorical pediatrics as well. If you have any concerns regarding this requirement, contact our residency office at or 714-456-5631.

Osteopathic school applicants:

  • Please note that our program requires all applicants to take the USMLE series of examinations in order to qualify for an interview.

Foreign medical school applicants:

  • There are special requirements for International Medical Graduates (IMGs) who wish to take post-graduate training in California. Further information can be obtained from the Medical Board of California.
  • All applicants must apply through ERAS. International graduates can apply through ECFMG. If you are not an American citizen, please carefully review the information below regarding visa status before proceeding.
  • IMG applicants must include the PTAL letter from the Medical Board of California. The residency office must receive the Evaluation Status Letter before an interview can be scheduled. Questions regarding status letters should be directed to the Medical Board of California.
  • The University of California accepts only J1 visas. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must provide a copy of your visa. If you have a current J1 visa, a current ECFMG certificate is also required.
  • F1 visas must be issued by a U.S. medical school in order to be accepted by the University of California. The university cannot issue H1 visas for International Medical Graduates.